We think feet are fantastic! That’s why we’ve put together some fun facts for you to share with your children. They could read them out loud to your family or you could test them as part of their home-schooling. There’s lots to learn about how fantastic our feet are…we’re sure you’ll agree!
1. Your nerves travel from your feet up to your brain twice as fast as a high-speed train.
2. 25% of your body’s bones are in your feet. That’s 100% more than a shark has in it whole body (or a quarter of your bones are in your feet).
3. Your baby has more bones in their feet than you.
4. We have over 200 bones in our body!
5. Bones can take up to 13 years to fully develop from birth, that’s over 4,500 days! - That's why making sure children's shoes are the right fit is important.
6. Your toeprints are unique to you, like your fingerprints…. the whorls and ridges forming the patterns on your skin are uniquely designed to help with sensory feedback to your brain.
7. We have toenails on the end of our toes just like monkeys, to shield the soft tissue on the end of our broad toes.
8. Half of your bones are in your hands and your feet.
9. Two of the biggest bones in your feet carry most of your body weight.
10. Your foot structure is arranged to form three strong arches: two length ways, and one across your foot.
11. Feet have 250,000 sweat glands. When active, feet can produce four to six ounces of perspiration a day. That‘s twice as heavy as an adult’s brain.
12. There are over 7,000 nerve endings in each foot, these help you feel the ground on each step.
13. Your feet have a network of more than 100 tendons, muscles and ligaments.
14. We have five toes on each foot to provide balance, just like a grizzly bear!
To find out more about how fantastic our feet are click HERE